Author Topic: Get Home Bag  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Jonesy

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
Get Home Bag
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »
I am currently working on putting together my get home back and all I seem to have are weapons   ;).  Being that we are on an Island and bugging out would be an issue, I feel that Getting Home and Bugging in is the better alternative.  Anyone have any thoughts on what to put in it to aid my long walk home in case SHTFLI?

KD2DZX
WQRJ674

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline Colfaulkner

Re: Get Home Bag
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »
How long a walk?  In the service one of the first things you learn is the value of foot powder and extra socks.

Offline Jonesy

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:10 pm »
Depends on the day, either 5 miles or 20.  I have a great pair of hiking socks and boots in the trunk. Foot powder sounds like a great idea in the summer.
KD2DZX
WQRJ674

Offline WRAI475

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:58:53 am »
Rain Poncho, Power Bar, Small 8oz bottle of water (just rotate it often), flashlight, local map, small first aide kit and a cheap HT.  That is what is in mine.   My weapons are already on me.  I use the small Molle waist/shoulder bad.  Oh yea a Swiss Army Knife for the cool gadgets. 

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:01:09 am »
Rain Poncho, Power Bar, Small 8oz bottle of water (just rotate it often), flashlight, local map, small first aide kit and a cheap HT.  That is what is in mine.   My weapons are already on me.  I use the small Molle waist/shoulder bad.  Oh yea a Swiss Army Knife for the cool gadgets.

And for the toothpick, those power bars can really get jammed on in your teeth.. :-)
Ham: K2LGR
Gmrs: WQRC499

Thanks for being a part of BTG

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline Joe K

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
My GHB basic contents.
Compass
SPOT GPS transponder with extra batts.
First Aid kit (well stocked)
Bug spray and Sunblock.
Water purification tabs
Emergency ration bars, 4800 calories worth
Gatorade powder
Flashlight, extra batts
Cordage.  Lightweight, high strength.
Lightweight rain jacket
Ar-7, 3 mags and 250 rounds of ultra velocity ammo.

And in addition, I always have a few things in the truck
A few quarts of water
My handheld GMRS/Ham radio
A mobile GMRS/Ham radio going in shortly.
Change of clothes and extra foot wear.

I do a lot of camping so its easier to have all this crap handy then get out there and be missing something.

Thats the basics and there are plenty of other bits and pieces...

Offline Jonesy

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:53:25 am »
Thanks for the advice...TonkaToy...I don't need no stinkin toothpick!!!!
KD2DZX
WQRJ674

Offline Joey B

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:35:16 pm »
Some things I have are Mobile GPS unit, Batteries all sizes in a waterproof container, 2 small LED flashlights, 1 Big LED flashlight, Flint stone, Machete, Hatchet, road flares, plastic garbage Bags, hand warmers, First aid kit..... ect.
Electrical Guru

Offline Upnelement

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:54:58 pm »
1. Lifestraw  personal water purification.  2.  Waterproof matches.  3.  Survival knife.  4.  100 ft  paracord.  5. Small medical kit.   6. Emergency survival blanket.   7. Energy bars.  8. Flashlight.   9.  Transistor radio with emergency and weatherband. 

Offline VillageGuy

• BridgeComm Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:04 am »
Your weapons may be on you, but most likely not enough ammunition, especially with the unSAFE act . . . I store ammo in Z-Corr bags https://www.zcorrproducts.com/ that way I don't have to worry about rotating it in and out. These are in my go bag as well as used in home storage.

Offline WRAI475

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »
Your weapons may be on you, but most likely not enough ammunition, especially with the unSAFE act . . . I store ammo in Z-Corr bags https://www.zcorrproducts.com/ that way I don't have to worry about rotating it in and out. These are in my go bag as well as used in home storage.

For a get home bag you don't need much ammo.  Different in a bugout situation where you may only have what you bring with you.  I do keep an exta reload in my bag and at least one on me.  I am also exempt from the safe act but stll choose single stack 45 or J frame .38 as my daily carry.  This is for local travel however.  My bag gets pretty heavy and customized depending on where I plan on traveling for any distance or any period of time.

Those bags are a nice idea.  Ammo storage will be a bigger priority niw that the supply lines are gonna get crushed.

Offline Jonesy

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
I think it's much more difficult for those that cannot carry.  How far will a knife get me if I'm stuck at work and my guns/ammo are at home. Short of keeping a shotgun in the trunk.  it certainly makes it more difficult trying to protect yourself if you do have to get home if the S really is HTF.
Home 
KD2DZX
WQRJ674

Offline WRAI475

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »
 Took this out of the Truck today to charge the radio battery and freshen up snacks.  This is what is under my seat.    The radios vary from time to time depending on my mood.  Buried is the Swiss Army Knife in the box but basically just some food, water, First Aid Kit, Ice Compress, waste bag, personal hygeine kit, poncho, solar blanket, Sure-Fire flashlight, Pepper Spray, speedloader, matches and a 10 Watt Solar Panel.  Enough to get me through the night if stuck or get me home on foot if close.  If I was taking a trip kit would be much larger, similar but this amount for every member of the family.  This is the everyday kit.  For a longer trip I also program two HT's for any repeaters I can find along my route and put a magmount in the car if it is not Dual Band radio equipped.  Enjoy, feel free to comment!  Billy

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:26 pm »
I like this setup bill. I really got to take the time to make myself one of these.
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

Offline Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »
Bill where did you get that bag?  Is that an Ammo bag?  Hard to find a decent bag to get started with that has side pockets for water, radio, food, and a decent size main area for other stuff.  Most of the ones I see dont have everything.

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)