Author Topic: Recent Solar Installation  (Read 7006 times)

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
Recent Solar Installation
« on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:36 am »
I'm going to ask [member=5]Tommy WQRC499[/member] to let us know how solar panels have helped him cut monthly cost and what happens if anything if the power goes out by him.

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
Re: Recent Solar Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:00:35 am »
By default, if he loses power, So does Tommy. Unless he added a special box that removes him from the grid during a power failure. Because technically he could run solely on the sun without battery storage during the day, but limited to the total solar power generated from his panels..

I've looked into it greatly and have a mass amount of information about it..

Offline Phreak480

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Phreak480.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:58:12 am »
Joey,

Share some of the info you have on making it work in absence of the grid.
HAM: K2ZMB
GMRS: WQWM880

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:52:26 am »
[member=108]Joey 810[/member] is correct, if my area losses power so do i. The solar panels that I (solar city) installed on my roof simply back feed the grid. The purpose of my system is to (during the day) produce more than i consume, therefore lowering my impact on the grid. The install cost me 0 ZERO dollars out of pocket and my monthly electric bill will be a fixed amount for the next 20 years. My monthly bill went down about 45%, and hey not only is it good for my wallet but also helps the environment. If i produce more than i use than i will get a check from PSEG. when solar city designed my system they built it to produce more than i use, they did this by reviewing a year of previous bills. For me it was a no brainer. As for power when the area goes out i have a 6.5kw tri fuel generator to cover me on that. If anyone has any questions PM me your full name, address, and phone number and ill pass it to my account manager at solar city. They will check out your area (house location) and see if your home qualifies. they were extremely nice, very helpful, slightly persistent (pressure) to get it going, but literally handled everything and like i said it cost me ZERO!!!! solar is going up everywhere, and im happy that i so far (2-3 weeks) my systems global impact is the equivalent of not driving my car 232 miles and not wasting 56 gallons of water. Once your system is live you get an app on your smart phone or through browser that shows you live status of your system.. totally cool stuff and the wave of the future, i feel good that im doing something to help keep our earth clean...
Ham: K2LGR
Gmrs: WQRC499

Thanks for being a part of BTG

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »
good stuff
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:39:55 am »
I'm curious on what the install cost is on a small ranch (1200sqft) like my house??
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:38:00 pm »
Don't lease them..
Finance is the way to go..
Email is here : estimate@longislandpowersolutions.com
long island power solutions gave me a quote of $129 a month for 12 years. You get a 6500 watt system. For $149 a month a 9500 watt system. That's if your roof can handle that many panels..

This will give you an idea..
Oh, and nothing out of pocket..

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:09 am »
Buying or financing is obviously another option. Main reason i did not do that is because most "finance" solar companies only offer a few years of warranty on the panels, Then your responsible to repair or fix them. My lease covers all that. they fly off from a hurricane they put new ones up. panels break for any reason they fix it. damage to my house (leaks etc...) im covered through their insurance not mine for up to $250,000. As technology improves guess what? i get free upgrades on panels, inverter any component of system. finance options dont do that. To add the "black out protection" is a very costly option, Im pretty certain that was not included in the price joey listed. also, first time you have to replace the back up batteries (second mortgage, lol)... Just like the auto market for some leasing makes sense, for some it doesnt.. For me (and i did my homework) leasing the system was the better option... My monthly payment will NEVER go up. If you own the system, as PSEG raises rates (and fires employees, SMH) you end up still paying more on your electric bill. The electric bill that i dont get :-)...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:15:07 am by Tommy WQRC499 »

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:10:05 am »
I'm curious on what the install cost is on a small ranch (1200sqft) like my house??

On the lease Greg? ZERO... I did not have to hand over a penny..

Offline Joe AC2NF

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:20 am »
I just had Vivint solar install on my house. There are powering options for grid tied systems.
From what I researched, it depends if you have micro inverters or a single inverter. Micro inverters has no single point of failure, but make grid down conditions more difficult to deal with. IF you have a single inverter, you basically take the DC from panel and goto yet another inverter with backup batteries.

Did solar City use Micro inverters too?

Offline allen WQTD895

• WQTD895
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
So, with a single inverter you can go off the grid?

Offline Joe AC2NF

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 07:02:05 pm »
With a single inverted you can grab the DC generated by the panels easier and add an additional inverter for daytime use when the grid is down.

Offline Joe AC2NF

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:39 pm »
Here is such a system with battery backup http://www.wholesalesolar.com/grid-tie-battery-backup.html

Offline Joe AC2NF

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
And this inverter from SMA http://youtu.be/fF461YYNbtw

Offline allen WQTD895

• WQTD895
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 10:13:06 am »
Thanks Joe for the info

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)