Author Topic: 19 Watt - 4 ft. T8 - LED Tube - 4100K  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
    • Joeteck's PC Services

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
Re: 19 Watt - 4 ft. T8 - LED Tube - 4100K
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:00 am »
Joey,
I need a little help here. What do I need to buy as a direct replacement in my present regular 4' florescent shop fixtures?
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:49:09 pm »
Actually, there isn't any direct replacement. LED T8 style bulbs do not use a ballast, so that would need to be removed. The sockets would also need to be changed and replaced with the non-shunted type. I included both links in my first post. Some LED T8 bulbs have its own "driver" or (ballast type) built in.

The above info is partially correct.. Read on...

Check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IOdfpvU8P8

Joey 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:24:31 am by Joey 810 »

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »
OK, thanks, I am going to try to convert one.
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 05:17:22 pm »
Just watched the video, I think I can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Dave

19 Watt - 4 ft. T8 - LED Tube - 4100K
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:24 pm »
Guys be careful. The video states you can just cap off the ground wire.  Do not do that. All accessible dead metal must be grounded to minimize the risk of a shock or electrocution.  Anyone can make a video and post it on a website or youtube.  That does not mean that the infirmation is correct (it must be because its on the internet was just a commercial).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:39:22 pm »
Yes, point taken. Maybe some of our Electrician members can weigh in on this.
I think you have to apply common sense to any media you read or watch on the internet, that's just plain smart. I would like to think we are a technical bunch and take the proper precautions
and study up on all we do.
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »
I just wanted to point it out as anyone can see it and someone may not be familiar with electrical requirements.   Whenever there is a how to on a forum there has to be an assumption of general knowledge and liability on the user of the information. I really don't care about the liability more worried about someone getting hurt accidentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:49 pm »
I would reccomend anyone not familiar with electrical requirements purchase LED replacement tubes that do not require the fixture to be altered. While it may not be as inexpensive its probably best to be safe rather than sorry.

Not taking away from the OP intent these are a great find for someone comfortable with wiring practices. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:36:20 pm by . »

Offline Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:57 pm »

Joey,
I need a little help here. What do I need to buy as a direct replacement in my present regular 4' florescent shop fixtures?

Greg you can find direct replacements from Phillips that run off the ballast in many fuxtures.  Not sure but possibly others such as Osram make them as well. I dont know fir sure but my guess is they will be very exoensive though compared to these but they are available.

If your comfortable with the wiring by all means what Joey found is a good deal.  You can probably postpictures for Kevin or Tony to double check if you want. 

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:59 pm »
I would reccomend anyone not familiar with electrical requirements purchase LED replacement tubes that do not require the fixture to be altered. While it may not be as inexpensive its probably best to be safe rather than sorry.

Not taking away from the OP intent these are a great find for someone comfortable with wiring practices. 

They all need to be altered.     

The above info is incorrect as Dave has pointed out.. There are may ways to replace them.. I prefer replacing the ballast with a driver..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:28:01 am by Joey 810 »

Offline Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:25:19 pm »
What needs to be altered?  Light fixtures?  I know you think that but just because you don't know something doesn't mean it is not true. 

The Philips Instatfit LED Family of replacement tube LED bulbs are compatible with many ballasts and do not require the fixtures to be rewired or ballasts removed. A true retrofit bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:18:45 am »
For that to work you still need an electronic ballast. Makes no sense to keep old technology with new technolgy. I don't see any real benefit or power savings with going that way..

Offline Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:46 am »
Joey i posted it. You can go look at the product or not i dont care. You stated something as a fact that you are mistaken about. Just like 8 months ago you called me an idiot in chat when you saud a laptop cant be plugged into 12vdc and work when it can. The laptop can ge powered off the 12vdc in the DRV without an inverter you just need a DC to DC converter.

The philips bulbs have an AC to DC PS internal that allows them to be powered from the ballast voltage.  They are marketed to professional installs where the labor cost of retrofitting the fixtures is prohibative. 

But hey if you want to claim they dont exist and call me an idiot again fine. I am sure those interested will look up the Philips product.  I believe there are other mfg's as well.  Not sure but I Osram may ge one.

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 12:29:19 am »
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I had no idea..

For those who would like to go that route I have included retrofit LED bulbs..

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/direct-plugin-led-t8-tubes/
[/size]
[/size]

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)