Author Topic: House Politics  (Read 2156 times)

Offline LongIsland

House Politics
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:24 pm »
I was talking to my wife about this and wanted to get some input from you guys.  Let's say that the situation gets bad and the shtf is going to be a prolonged event.  Now I know that leaving the island is going to be next to impossible (even if you have a boat).  So the plan would be to "bug in".

Now I have a lot of family and close friends of different ages and most have little to no preps.  Most have guns, but not much ammo (at least not what I consider enough).  I think it's obvious that getting a group together in the same house has its defensive advantages.  My household currently consists of myself, my wife, a young toddler, and my Rottweiler.  I would want to bring in some family or friends to stay if the shtf is going to be medium to long term.

The debate is how do you choose which friends or family to let in and how do you turn people away?  There is a limit to how many can live in one house and be useful.  We made a quick list of who we would want to take care of, and which people would bring useful skills/preps and it's tough to decide how to make cuts.  Anyone thought about this?

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
Re: House Politics
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:39:15 pm »
I think this is a awesome topic. I will ponder on this and come back to it
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:02:20 pm »
I think its time to make an underground bunker...

Offline ipfd320

• Skywarn Spotter
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
lol-Yah that would go Over Well all of us Members in a Bunker Jammed Together..lol

:D :D-Had to throw that out there
GMRS--Wqtk-711
Ham Radio--N2ATP / AE
Martin County Skywarn Advanced
Martin County Ares/Races
Cpr-First Aid-Aed
FEMA/ICS-1/2/7/800-951 Radio Inter-Op Certified
Former Firefighter (Broad Channel / Island Park)

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »
ah..no.. That would be for my family only... Survival for the fittest.. Ammo stock pile.. guns... food... Places to sleep.. Solar panels, electric fence.. trip wire traps.. etc... you get the idea... Anything to protect the family.. 

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »
You forgot the redbull :-) but seriously I guess it would be a tough decision. Most of my friends are prepared as much as I am. Some things I do not advertise that I have as you well...... never know. I'm more concerned with the protection of family and friends than stock piling rations. I feel as a group of similar like minds we can survive most. Good topic.
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:31:20 pm »
Red Bull would require an entire bunker... and another one for coffee for Kevin...

Offline ipfd320

• Skywarn Spotter
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:39:20 pm »
and a Full Stock Bunker for 599...lol-  ::)
GMRS--Wqtk-711
Ham Radio--N2ATP / AE
Martin County Skywarn Advanced
Martin County Ares/Races
Cpr-First Aid-Aed
FEMA/ICS-1/2/7/800-951 Radio Inter-Op Certified
Former Firefighter (Broad Channel / Island Park)

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:49 am »
Its fun to think of these situations where we can use all our toys and play survival but (and I've said this before) if we are in a situation where we are selecting people outside our immediate families to protect and shelter,
that my friends is completely different scenario and a extremely nasty high danger situation we would be in!!!!!
Remember, the more food, guns, ammo, batteries etc you have, the more of a target you will be. Once in a survival mode, there will be a complete breakdown of civil order. People will become savages.
Its really not a scenario you can prepare for on Long Island.

As far as the topic question, If you get to the point where you are turning people away!! your done, the words out already on your household that you have food, water guns etc. The word will spread.
You cannot defend against NUMBERS!!! Eventually, they will win.
Your only chance in this situation is the appearance you have nothing, but that will very hard to do.

So, here's my summary and opinion for LI survival.
-Prepare for a two week storm aftermath for your family, anything more serious than that cannot be realistically prepared for.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:13:32 pm by Greg9111 »
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:38 pm »
Its fun to think of these situations where we can use all our toys and play survival but (and I've said this before) if we are in a situation where we are selecting people outside our immediate families to protect and shelter,
that my friends is completely different scenario and a extremely nasty high danger situation we would be in!!!!!
Remember, the more food, guns, ammo, batteries etc you have, the more of a target you will be. Once in a survival mode, there will be a complete breakdown of civil order. People will become savages.
Its really not a scenario you can prepare for on Long Island.

As far as the topic question, If you get to the point where you are turning people away!! your done, the words out already on your household that you have food, water guns etc. The word will spread.
You cannot defend against NUMBERS!!! Eventually, they will win.
Your only chance in this situation is the appearance you have nothing, but that will very hard to do.

So, here's my summary and opinion for LI survival.
-Prepare for a two week storm aftermath for your family, anything more serious than that cannot be realistically prepared for.

Very well put greg.
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)