Author Topic: Off Grid Solar system  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
    • Joeteck's PC Services
Off Grid Solar system
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
I've been looking into off-grid solar systems. I want to (for now) try to off load small lightly used breakers and move them to a sub-panel off of PSE&G.

http://www.renogy-store.com/1000W-Premium-Kit-p/kit-premium1000d.htm

here is an example of a off-grid kit. Still need a few batteries to store the energy. But with more research and time, my goal is to be off the grid 100% one day..

I think its time..

Offline gdavis316

Re: Off Grid Solar system
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »
 Hey Joey......let me know how the project goes.  I got the cheap harbor freight kit to power my radios, i will need to get two batteries when i put everything together.  I have a small shack with a gr1225 repeater on gmrs for the farn, uhf, and vhf low and high band radios for everything in the area.  I want to keep all powered if we ever lose power for any extended time.  Hopefully in the coming months we are gonna add solar to the house to run some things including water pump, and add solar heat elements to the hot water heaters, that is if we can afford it.
Glenn
GMRS-WQRL495
HAM-N3DNR
Animis Opibusque Parati", meaning Prepared in Mind And Resources.

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:35:38 am »
This is something I'm still actively pursuing. I hear nothing but good things about the harbor freight kits
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline gdavis316

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:10 am »
Thanks for the info TJ
Glenn
GMRS-WQRL495
HAM-N3DNR

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:46 pm »
Hey Joey......let me know how the project goes.  I got the cheap harbor freight kit to power my radios, i will need to get two batteries when i put everything together.  I have a small shack with a gr1225 repeater on gmrs for the farn, uhf, and vhf low and high band radios for everything in the area.  I want to keep all powered if we ever lose power for any extended time.  Hopefully in the coming months we are gonna add solar to the house to run some things including water pump, and add solar heat elements to the hot water heaters, that is if we can afford it.

WOOOOOW!! I would love to see a picture of that...

Offline gdavis316

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:43 pm »
Hey Joey, i will send some pics over the weekend.  I have tried to get one of each radio i used in my career, and the ones i always wanted to have.  What you will see will be changed out soon to the remote mount spectras, both with A9 heads.......my favorite radio.....that saved my butt a few times. 

Changing subjects, are you hooked up on mygmrs.com?  Interesting topic in forum with link to what looks like a good article.

Bad afternoon on the farm here.....my best friend, Edisto, a boykin spaniel, ran under my tire.  My whole family loved him.....got to tell my daughter shortly, she has been at work.

Take care, and i will send some pics this weekend
Glenn
GMRS-WQRL495
HAM-N3DNR

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)