Author Topic: Check out the progress!!  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
Re: Check out the progress!! DRV2
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 11:04:09 am »
DRV2 from Govt Surplus................

Dave, get on that!!! make it happen!!! You seem to know a lot about this type of stuff so i guess it would help our efforts. IMHO, i dont think a drone would be very practical though. I dont have half the experience as some of you guys do but in my experiences i never felt that a drone would have helped my efforts what ever they may be.. actually, i stand corrected, when i was a child i lost a frisbee on my neighbors roof, a drone would have been great in my recovery efforts. It was hard to know the frisbees exact location on that huge roof...

It was a joke!!!!!!   Would be cool toy though :)  And to be honest you may see local PD playing with them in the not to far future.  When they get tired of red light cams for revenue generation :)

Your probably right.. Drone managed speed traps... I wasnt kidding about the drone... Get on that! :-) that frisbee might very well still be up there. :-)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:05:48 am by Tommy WQRC499 »
Ham: K2LGR
Gmrs: WQRC499

Thanks for being a part of BTG

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline Dave

Check out the progress!!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »
The DRV is a great idea and hopefully never be needed.  Has anyone worked on getting the club and the DRV authorized to be involved in an event. I remember the chaos when Avianca went down in the mid 80's. Every agency in a 20 mile radius seemed to respond. At one point NYCPD ESU tried to throw out the Long Island FD's and that's when the fights started.  There were first responder vehicles in the way slowing down the ambulance caravans etc.

After that Nassau County PD drew up a plan including who was in charge, who was authorized in the area, and everyone else would be told thanks but no thanks unless we call you. I had a copy but I haven't seen it in years.

There are plans like that for most events (weather, natural disaster, homeland security issues, etc). 

If you haven't already you may want to consider riding on the coat tails of CERT, Red Cross etc if they permit it.  Might require individuals to be certified. 

Just saying if you just show up some day the authorities may not welcome you with open arms if you are not part of an authorized group. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
Re: Check out the progress!!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:24 pm »
Not sure if you have listened to any of the info nets every Sunday night. On a few occasions we have spoken with getting involved with multiple agencies within the area including cert and others. This I not something that happens over night but has always been our goal. We are not looking to be a rogue group that runs around doing what we want.
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »
Connections have already been made. We will be meeting with people from 2 organizations within the next week. I agree with training and urge members to join CERT to get the training started. :-) we are not willing to allow this to turn into a group of vigilantes.

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline Dave

Check out the progress!!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »
Tommy this is kind of my point. Maybe a thread (when you get a chance next week or so). " hey everyone if you can and want to please sign up for CERT training. Links to their sites below"

Don't take this wrong but 200 members are not mind readers. If that's something the club would like people to do it needs to be put out there not just mentioned on the radio.

Again please don't take it the wrong way but the message is not getting out to the masses if you want them to do these things that I or others I checked with have seen. Some will do it others can't or don't want to and that's fine.

Or we can do a show of hands on how many knew this and signed up for CERT training since joining to prove me and others wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:12 pm »
dave, i agree 200 members can not be mind readers... Neither can 3 Owners... We made connections with groups.. dont know yet if it will work out.. we (owners) need to secure these things first before we recommend or even mention any training or affiliation.. Once we work that out of course a announcement will be made..

Offline Captain056

• First In Last Out
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 12:58:31 pm »
   Nice Job and Lots of Luck!     Tommy, is this the truck that was down in Seaside Hts, NJ
"Be Aware of Your Surroundings" Stay Alert & Stay Alive!

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
   Nice Job and Lots of Luck!     Tommy, is this the truck that was down in Seaside Hts, NJ

No, we actually found this one local here on long island... It was First in service here and never left the island, SHTFLI is the 3rd owner :-)

Offline ghfdtruckie

• BridgeComm Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:52 am »
I think a f22 raptor would be a better choice

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 01:04:47 am »
I think a f22 raptor would be a better choice

got a few million we could borrow
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

Offline Joe AC2NF

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:06 pm »
Tommy, truck looked great today..

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)