Author Topic: Command Seat Desk  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
Command Seat Desk
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »
Hey all, i need some ideas on securing the laptop to the desk we will be mounting in front of the command seat in the rear of the DRV. I dont think the mounting option should be permanent as we will want to remove the laptop from the DRV. It is also important that when the laptop is not on the desk that no brackets remain, that way if the laptop is not needed the desk can be used to write on or lay our maps etc... The only thing i can think of is maybe a hard thin rubber so that the laptop doesnt move (kind of like the anti slip mats they sell to secure a phone on your dash). Any ideas are welcome...

Ham: K2LGR
Gmrs: WQRC499

Thanks for being a part of BTG

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline vinnyg16

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
Command Seat Desk
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:05 pm »
Maybe. Velcro. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
Re: Command Seat Desk
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:56:52 pm »
Maybe. Velcro. 

Vinny, at first i was leaning towards velcro but then thought an anti slip rubber may be better. Maybe a small 1" by 1" piece in all for corners of the laptop would work.. its not like this thing is an indy car chances are the laptop would be just fine not secured. I just feel putting something in place to help keep it in place is a good idea.. lol...

NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800, Hazmat, CPR, BLS, NYS Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator, Hurst Tool/Vehicle extrication Certified, NYS Reporting Certified, NYS FireFighter I, NYS EMT-B.

Offline vinnyg16

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
Command Seat Desk
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:09 pm »
If you use a big piece you may never get the laptop off and I would worry about over heating.  small piece of Velcro or you could also use a long piece like a belt to hold it down.  You just need enough to handle bumps.   Try the rubber mat and see what happens. I was just throwing out options

Offline Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »
Woodworkers use an anti-skid mat for sanding etc.  You place the wood on the mat and it holds it in place for finish sanding, dremel cutting etc. You can just wrap it around the laptop when you put it away.  I think Sears still sells them and I would check Harbor Freight first if you are interested. 

In a previous life setting up an observation vehicle or two we used something similar to today's Ram Mounts etc to mount equipment.  But they are pricey as were the custom mounts back then. They did allow you to swing away equipment and lock it in place etc. 

Speaking of observation vehicles an inexpensive Foscam Camera mounted on the DRV can be streamed on the mobile hotspot or the mesh (preferably mesh as the hotspot data charges would be costly).  Not high end but it would give a nice overview of the area where the DRV is parked.

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:51 pm »
Dave, thats an awesome idea. But would it be accesible to view from non mesh users?? im still a bit lost on how the mesh will operate...
i like the mat idea also, may help absorb bumps as well..

vinny, i like the belt idea, maybe something removable.. hmmmmmmmm im gong to think about that a bit..

Offline Dave

Command Seat Desk
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:19 pm »
Ask Jeff about the mesh. I have not bothered setting mine up since there are no nodes in my area yet. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline vinnyg16

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
Command Seat Desk
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:50 pm »
I just post a couple  ideas out there to make people think.     

As far as the mesh we should be able to work it so we can bridge some services to the internet.   FYI -The great South Bay ham club is going to put two mesh nodes on there antenna on babylon town hall.   As soon as I get my node up an running I will  write up a cheat sheet. 

Offline Joey 810

• Skywarn Spotter
    • Joeteck's PC Services
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
What about the Velcro that is used for the ez-pass? That is a bit more rigid and may be better than normal softer velcro..

When I can, I will upgrade the drive to solid state.

Offline vinnyg16

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
Command Seat Desk
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:27 pm »
I have good Velcro that we use to wrap server cables if you guys need it.

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:41 pm »
I have good Velcro that we use to wrap server cables if you guys need it.

Like straps?

Offline vinnyg16

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
Command Seat Desk
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 07:09:47 am »
It's a rolli of  Velcro.  We would cut it to the length we need to tie cables together.  I think I have a one piece that is like 2 feet.  I have  a bunch 8 to 10 inches.   Let me see what I can find and will bring some to the hamfest on Sunday

Offline Tommy WQRC499

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »
It's a rolli of  Velcro.  We would cut it to the length we need to tie cables together.  I think I have a one piece that is like 2 feet.  I have  a bunch 8 to 10 inches.   Let me see what I can find and will bring some to the hamfest on Sunday

Sounds good Vinny, Thank you.. If it doesnt work the mounting the laptop im certain we will be able to find a use for it.. Velcro has many uses. :-)

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)