Author Topic: Family use  (Read 1290 times)

Offline jim857

• BridgeComm Subscriber
Family use
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:26:59 pm »
Being completely new to the use of radio I am concerned about just exactly HOW to use BTG to engage communication to twomembers of my family.
Example, if I need to contact my son, I call out my call sign, if he hears me can he simply respond? And if there is no other stations on, can we talk?
I have read the rules and agree with all of it. I do not want to tie up the repeater just to learn how to use in this situation. He lives 12miles from me and my daughter lives in Astoria, approx33 miles away. And my concern is preparing for some such situation when all we have are the radios. When it was quiet I attempted to reach him and did, and then signed off immediately.

Offline ipfd320

• Skywarn Spotter
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
Re: Family use
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:17:08 pm »

hey Jim welcome to BTG Communications--i will try to answer this the best i can--as per FCC Rules you can have Your Immediate Family Members Under Your License

we break it down as your Call Sign followed by a letter

SON would be your *(WRFB-857-S)*
DAUGHTER would be *(WRFB-857-D)*
WIFE would be *(WRFB-857-W)*
MOM would be *(WRFB-857-M)*
DAD would be *(WRFB-857-DAD)*--since *(D)* is used as Daughter--if *(NO Daughter)* then *(D)* is sufficient

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your License will cover Your Immediate Family Only as per FCC Rules-->
https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs#:~:text=

CLICK ON THE BLUE TABS TO READ EACH SECTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now your gonna call your daughter--it will be like this--WRFB-857 to WRFB-857-D are you on the Air--she would Come back and Say 857-d to 857 go ahead--then you can converse with each other back and forth freely--You Dont Need to keep saying the call sign once you made contact and visa versa

this goes the same for any family member

YOU MUST ANNOUNCE YOUR CALL SIGN EVERY 10 MINUTES when Using the Repeater--as per FCC RULES and the Family Members Also

if there is activity on the air and you want to break in--wait for the courtesy tone to end and throw your call sign out--if there are more than 2 people on the radio we impliment a rotation system where 1 would talk then pass the convo to the next person then to the 3rd and so on

Remember to leave ample room between talking when the tones stop just in case there is someone trying to break in

also try not to quick key as it may cut out part of the conversation

JUST BE YOURSELF and have FUN / Dont be Afraid to Talk--if you Mess Up dont Worry we Dont Judge as Your Just Learning--Its All Good

When During a Net when you call number group is called which is the *(700 & 800)* Group dont Rush as there will be others jumping
on in when clear announce your call sign and let net control if you have TRAFFIC *(Any Message or Questions) or *(NO TRAFFIC)*--If You Have Traffic Net Control will Call the Traffic Stations in Order Checked In

Hope this Helps Somewhat--Remember No Question is a Stupid Question--Just Ask Away

GMRS--Wqtk-711
Ham Radio--N2ATP / AE
Martin County Skywarn Advanced
Martin County Ares/Races
Cpr-First Aid-Aed
FEMA/ICS-1/2/7/800-951 Radio Inter-Op Certified
Former Firefighter (Broad Channel / Island Park)

Offline jim857

• BridgeComm Subscriber
Re: Family use
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »
Thanks. I was thinking along those lines, feel better with the validation. Don't want to improvise would rather be acquainted with the norm. Thank you again

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)