Author Topic: Operating a Two-Way Radio in a Motor Vehicle  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
Operating a Two-Way Radio in a Motor Vehicle
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
Since we have a lot of new members, I felt maybe new members or some old ones that missed it would benefit, so I re-posted it.
**************************************************************DISCLAIMER********************************************************************************************
IN NO WAY DOES THIS POST REFLECT THE OPINIONS OR POSITION OF SHTFLI.COM. THIS POST IS ONLY PROVIDING SOME INFORMATION AND IS NOT INTENDED AS DIRECTION OR A LEGAL POSITION OF SHTFLI OR ANY
ORGANIZATION. INDIVIDUALS ARE ON THEIR OWN.

I have often wondered if talking on a two way radio in your car was legal. Of course when you ask someone you get ten different answer's/opinions. I checked out the NYS VTL and found the Law to be a little vague. I did
some searching and found this letter. It appears since a two way radio is not a mobile device working on a network, it does not fall under the law and is OK for use. Attached is the letter from the NYS DMV clarifying.
If you think about it, it makes sense. Truck drivers, taxi's etc all use two way communications freely. I also got feedback from  a SCPD Capt stating, we don't bother two-way radio users.

"See you on the Radio"

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)