Author Topic: water storage  (Read 1659 times)

Sandyt

water storage
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:21:37 pm »
Hello all, from Sandyt.  While visiting friends in Utah in 2012, we went to a store that specializes in food storage.  An item that caught my eye was a container for water storage that fits into the corner of a room.  It holds 30 gallons of water and is about 5 to 6 feet tall.  It is food grade quality and BPA free.  It costs less than $100 plus shipping and handling.  Good for apartment dwellers and those with little storage space.
Two weeks of water storage for two people at one gallon per day per person equals 28 gallons.  That's a lot of gallon bottles of water to store in your apartment or house.  Whereas, one corner water container holds 30 gallons of water and fits into the corner of a room. 
The  name of the company is Rotational Molding of Utah.  Look under residential emergency kits for the water container.  WWW.rotationalmoldingutah.com

It is suggested you chemically treat the water with a product called "water preserver" or "aquamira water treatment" both of which can be found at the ready store.  Would show you a picture but haven't figured out how to do that yet.  Sandyt

Offline Greg9111

• Admin
  • Global Moderator
  • BridgeComm Subscriber
  • Forum Moderator
  • Administrative Admin
  • Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • Admin
Re: water storage
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:41:59 pm »
Great info, thanks!!!!!
"See you on the Radio"

Offline Kevin WQRE722

• Technical Committee
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • ARES Operator
  • Net Control Operator
  • The Radio Guy.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:07:49 pm »
I cant believe more people haven't jumped on this post.
awesome info
Kevin,

KD2BAH
WQRE722
Radio goto Guy
Master Electricain
Nassau County cert

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:43:42 pm »
Gotta be honest, I must have missed this post. I will be checking this out as well as possibly getting it. Wow for that price I'll ditch poland spring :-)

Bob, want me to get some pics up for you?
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline Lou WQVU939

• FAMILY SUBSCRIBER
  • Military Auxiliary Radio System Operator
    • Salli and my personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:03 am »
We have used this FDA approved tank in our horse trailer for 8 years. I have a DC RV water pump at the bottom for water pressure.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=c89202dc-fb22-46d8-9a55-abd7a929e543
Lou

Ham: NO2C
GMRS: WQVU939

I reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday.

Sandyt

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:52 pm »
Hi, all...an add on to original post on water storage.  I found some new information.  Only fill water containers, whether inside or outside with hoses rated for potable water.  Amazon.com has " drink safe hoses" by CAMCO.  One is CAMCO 22853 premium drinking hose, 5/8 I.D. and fifty feet long for $21.25.  Be aware of the weight of the storage container especially if on the second floor.  One gallon of water equals approximately 8.3 pounds.  A thirty gallon corner container, filled with water weighs approximately 249 pounds.  ready store has good info on water storage.  Go to ready store.com, Click on water storage, then click on water accessories and then on siphon pump.  Good info about water storage on blog, on left side of page.  Sandyt

Offline T.j.

• K2LIE / WRCF495
  • Owner
  • Skywarn Spotter
  • CERT Member
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Bridgecomm
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:40 am »
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Offline Phreak480

• BridgeComm Subscriber
  • RACES Operator
  • ARES Operator
    • Phreak480.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:15 am »
Be aware of the weight of the storage container especially if on the second floor.  One gallon of water equals approximately 8.3 pounds.  A thirty gallon corner container, filled with water weighs approximately 249 pounds. 

And this is probably why a corner storage container is a good design.  Place it at the corner of 2 outside walls which is a structurally strong point and it should be no issue.  Hell There are people who weight more than 249 lbs.
HAM: K2ZMB
GMRS: WQWM880

Sandyt

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:50:28 pm »
I should have been more clear.  Just wanted interested people to be aware of weight when choosing a water storage container of any size for their house or apartment.  The 30 gallon corner water container and the 80 gallon corner water container are fine.  This was checked with my husband Bob's business contractor.  I am new at posting and using the computer.  Will try to be more clear when I post.  Thank you, SANDYT

*CLICK THE W2LIE LINK TO ACCESS OUR LIVE FEED*
Long Island Scanner Feeds (www.w2lie.net)